PR Program for San Diego Angel Conference at University of San Diego, the largest angel investment conference program of its kind
Earned media hits
Total UVPM readership
- Developed PR strategy
- Planned timelines and tactics to increase exposure
- Created sponsorship benefits list and materials
- Conducted outreach to hundreds of media outlets and reporters on SDAC’s behalf, including those covering angel funding, startups, entrepreneurs, venture funding, the Southern California innovation ecosystem, and business growth
- Leveraged stories about the success of the SDAC program as well as stories about start-up companies and angel investors
- Pitched and placed guest articles and podcast participation, to improve thought leadership
- Developed briefings and coached spokespeople for media interviews
- Facilitated all interviews and provided media coaching to improve outcomes of interviews
- Elevate brand awareness
- Expand credibility among target publics
- Increase thought leadership
- Increase the number of applicants to the start-up program
- Activate angel investors across the U.S.
- Support capital investment by angel investors
- Garner positive media exposure for finalists and winning teams
The San Diego Angel Conference, the largest event-based angel investing program in the U.S., provides guidance, education, resources, and investor introductions to startups, while helping angels tap into deal flow, learn more about venture investing, expand their networks, and develop a venture investment portfolio. It was looking to grow the program by increasing awareness and sponsorship, expanding partnership with universities and others in the start-up ecosystem, and activate investment through angel investors by identifying promsing early-stage companies.
Clearpoint developed a comprehensive PR strategy to support the organization, focus on its strengths, and raise its profile among key audiences in the region and across the country.
SDAC has grown into one of the largest angel investing programs in the U.S. with 400 engaged and accredited investor contacts, more than 1700 alumni and founders, and more than $41 million raised by San Diego Angel Conference portfolio companies.
Clearpoint’s development of its PR program helped in many ways.
- Elevated brand awareness and managed communications locally and nationally
- SDAC received a record number of applications to participate from start-ups across 15 states and 30 different industries
- Wrote 5 thought leader articles for national trade and business publications
- Secured 3 podcast interviews
- Developed series of press announcements and related stories, resulting in more than 95 earned articles and hundreds of press release pick-ups, accounting for 21,764 release views
- Good PR helped to grow the investment fund from an initial goal of $200,000 to more than $500,000 with increases in angels, startups and partners
- Placed several thought leader articles raising the profile of SDAC founder Mysty Rusk
- News coverage gave exposure to all finalist companies and to the winning companies
“Clearpoint has been instrumental in our success by providing valuable insights and on-point media relations and communications strategies, as well as connecting SDAC with their early-stage company, investor, and sponsor contacts.”Mysty Rusk, San Diego Angel Conference Founder and Executive Director, Free Enterprise Institute (FEI) University of San Diego